Egusi soup also known as Melon soup in English can be cooked with different varieties of vegetable leaves ranging from Ugu, Onugbo (bitter leave), Ora, and many other vegetables.
In Igboland during festivals and other traditional rites, the most preferable soup for the occasion is always Egusi soup.
Ingredients Used In Cooking Egusi soup
Salt, Maggi, onion, pepper, ukpa, crayfish, fish, stock fish and meats
Procedure For Cooking Egusi soup
1. Get a pot
2. On your gas cooker
3. Get your stock fish, meat, fish wash them in a bowl filled with water wash it, then cool for at least 30 minutes.
4. Get your pepper, you can blend or Pound it. Put it in a clean plate, more also grind your egusi with ogiri and crayfish….
5. Put your stock fish, meat and fish inside ur cooking pot allow it to steam for about 5 to 10 mins
6. Add your ingredients like red oil, salt,pepper, crayfish, ukpa, maggi …then you stir and allow it to boil for sometime.
7. Add your grinded Egusi inside the pot, stir and allow to boil for 5 mins.
8. Then add your chopped vegetables and then stir, allow to boil for about 3 mins.
9. Finally your melon soup is ready to serve.
Author: Nnamani Ujunwa